Friday, June 1, 2012

Cleaning the Kitchen

 At the beginning of the year, I got onto this blog for a weekly, yearlong challenge to organize my house. I felt pretty organized already, but I knew there is always room for improvement and I might learn something new.
 Every week I was eager for the challenge and completed them fairly quick. Some weeks were easier than others. Some things I already had a good system in place and didn't see the need to modify it.
  Eventually I kinda branched off on my own and in an attempt to de-clutter my home, developed a schedule for 'gutting' each and every room in my house.
  When I say 'gutting' I mean touching everything. In bedrooms for example I go thru all the drawers, getting rid of what I don't use, relocating items that serve no purpose in that room (ie: all the notepads I had crammed into the vanity in my room- I don't write in there, so those were relocated.) I wash the windows inside & out, curtains, move all the furniture and dust & vacuum behind/underneath it etc.
  I've wound my way thru the house and have arrived at the kitchen. The kitchen is a room that's cleaned regularly, so it won't be too hard.
  Infact the 52 week challenge that I started at the beginning of the year started in the kitchen, so it's already in decent shape. Drawers have been purged and organized. As have the cabinets.
  My ultimate goal in my kitchen is to get the tops of my upper cabinets cleaned off. A smart designer would have designed cabinets that went all the way to the ceiling, in my opinion. I have about 12" of space that collects dust & cobwebs. And junk.
  So that's what I am doing this weekend. Finding other places to store the 'junk' that make more sense than on top of my cabinets.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment