Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I just ate a handful of sprinkles

 Yes. I did. I just ate a handful of pastel colored sprinkles. You see, I was organizing our spice cabinet today. We were generously gifted several boxes of spices. I couldn't ever find what I was looking for, and on more than one occassion, I came across something in a recipe that I didn't have, and looking at overflowing spice cabinet, couldn't possibly justify buying anything.
  When my hubby came home with 2 more boxes, they sat on my table since Saturday afternoon til today. 3 whole days! And after I got over the intial crazy of 'oh my goodness, i have to find some time to organize my spices so i can go thru the new boxes', I was actually okay with the boxes. Except that my oldest daughter kept digging around in them and every time we sat down to eat, I had to move them out of the determined baby's reach.
  So I got around to them this afternoon. I got in touch with a couple of close friends, put together some bags for them, still some leftover, that if the other couple of people I contacted don't claim them, will be going to a food pantry.
  I had the intention of taking all of the lurking baking supplies out of the spice cabinet, and putting them with the rest of the baking ingredients. When I started rummaging in that cabinet, I didn't make alot of room. As I organized and put like things together, I actually had a bag of almonds and something else that I had no room for. In cleaning that cabinet out though, I found that I have PLENTY of birthday candles. I also have plenty Halloween & Valentines Day sprinkles. Then I had a zipper bag with a package of generic pastel sprinkles off of a can of frosting. That Kaylor had opened once, and we'd never finished.
 I can't bear the thought of throwing food away. The kids unfortunately weren't too excited about sprinkles. So that left me.
  Also not making the cut to stay in the cabinet was a bag of fried chicken breading. I couldn't find a discernable expiration date on it, but I'm 99.9% sure that when Aaron and I moved into our house, that came from a random box of food that he'd put in storage. Ironically, we gave the mix to our chickens and they loved it. I'd have a picture of the irony, BUT it's raining now, and my camera batteries are dead....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment