Monday, May 13, 2013

Homemade Salad Dressing- 2 dressings in one!


  Friday night, a friend posted a picture for a very yummy looking salad. I read the recipe and was going to make it. But it called for bacon. I have bacon. But it's frozen and I didn't want to thaw it, cook it etc. That's just too much work. So I skipped the bacon. Also the base for the dressing was mayo. So I made up my own version of the dressing.
 The salad recipe called for kale, stawberries & avocado. I did kale, dandelion greens, a couple of peppermint & lemon balm leaves & some lemon sorrel. Plus the strawberries and some avocado slices.
  For my dressing, I started with plain fat free greek yogurt. I added some fresh lemon juice & poppy seeds. It had a very sour flavor as you can imagine plain yogurt & lemon juice would. I added a little honey. So that's what we used on our 'strawberry & grass' salad as my hubby called it. (I'm gonna add my hubby wasn't a fan of it, and neither was my 10 yr old daughter.)
  So today, decided to have a salad for lunch. I looked at the bottles of dressing in my fridge and remembered that I had dressing leftover. I got it out, opened it and it had a slight hint of oniony smell (the bowl I'd put it in is my designated onion bowl, but it was the only bowl in the drainer when I went to make my dressing Saturday.) So I went with it and added some minced onion to the dressing. (Let me add, I LOVE onions.) And a dash or 2 or 3 of chili powder.
  It still has the sweetness of the honey, but it balances well with the chili. If you were hoping for exact amounts, just eyeball it and use your judgement. I made a small batch, just one cup of yogurt.
  Enjoy!

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete